Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Worms - not just for fishing

I realized yesterday that I am venturing into territory that I have never gone before.  When I was in high school my boyfriend's family used to gather worms to sell for bait to local fisher-people that drove by on the way to the lake.  I was enlisted/volunteered to help "gather" them.  THIS was a process I never knew existed.  The equipment required was as follows:  A flash light, an old coffee can and extreme courage.  This event occurred at night. (they lived in the country - it is darker there) You took the flashlight and shone it on the ground and looked for the shiny/slimy worm bodies, (they are called night-crawlers) then you grab hold and pull up gently and place in your coffee can that is holding worm soil. If you do not pull gently you end up with two worms - otherwise known as dead.
Being the good sport that I am (people pleaser) I helped out often, my catch ratio was low, but they enjoyed hearing me scream and squeal.  Night-crawlers are notoriously HUGE and chubby.  

Now I am coming full circle. (intro to Lion King theme music) Yesterday I ordered a WORM FARM/FACTORY and 100 RED WIGGLERS . I am going GREEN!  What we do not feed the chickens (food scraps) will go into the worm farm so those little buggers can make me some kick ass fertilizer for the garden.  Who doesn't have food scraps?  

1 comment:

  1. Worm is one of those things I have not even thought of doing. Love the blog and glad I found it.
    By the way, it's me Michelle from BYC.
    You have been very busy I see.

    ReplyDelete