Thursday, June 14, 2012

Operation Chicken EGGtravaganza!!!

It's time, It's time!!!!  I assembled my Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance  last night.  I have to say it was a bit nerve wracking.  The instructions were not very detailed, and not having a frame of reference I second guessed myself on every point. I also registered the product for my warranty. (That is always very important)
I set the "bator" in my guest room on the dresser, plugged her in and made some adjustments to the temperature and Humidity levels. And away she went, heating to a perfect 99 degrees.

My little eggs were shipped yesterday and are scheduled to arrive Saturday.  Perfect timing, so I can set them for their 24 hour "relax" time before they are set in the "bator" on Sunday June 17, 2012 ~ Father's Day.  Then 21 days later is a Saturday, which gives me all weekend to sit and watch them hatch!!!!
Fresh out of the box
I am going to blog and journal this process on a daily basis.  My journal will include dates, times, temperatures and humidity levels.  Once I get the eggs I will make sure they are clean and healthy. Then I will number them.  My partner in chicken - "City Chic" is going to also place some eggs to hatch.  Mine are from MYPETCHICKEN.COM - Bantam Blue Silkies.  "City Chic" is placing Bantam Cochins ~ 4 calico, 4 calico frizzles, 2 silver laced and 2 white.

We are both very excited to experience this event.
Assembled and cooking!
Saturday has been named Coop Construction Day. Brian and I are going to prep the sight and assemble the coop.  The plan to protect against digging/tunneling predators is to dig down 9", place the hardware cloth, then line the rectangle with cinder blocks, put down a layer of gravel, then a layer of soil and then lay fresh sod on top.  The coop and run will sit on top of the prepped area.  I am going to plant marigolds on the east side of the coop and sunflowers on the west side. Both a chicken favorite.  

I ordered and received 13 assorted herb plants that I will put into little galvanized buckets and arrange them on the fence beside the coop.  These herbs will serve as salad and treats for the chickens, as well as for us. 

Here is a list of the herbs I chose and the benefits to chickens:

Basil ~ Antibacterial, mucus membrane health
Catnip ~ Sedative, insecticide
Dill ~ Antioxidant, relaxant, respiratory health
Fennel ~Laying stimulant
Garlic ~ Laying stimulant
Lavender ~ Stress reliever, increases blood circulation, highly aromatic, insecticide
Lemon Balm ~ Stress reliever, antibacterial, highly aromatic, rodent repellent
Mint ~ Insecticide and rodent repellent
Oregano ~ Combats coccidia, salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian flu, blackhead and e-coli
Parsley ~ High in vitamins, aids in blood vessel development, laying stimulant
Rosemary ~ Pain relief, respiratory health, insecticide
Sage ~ Antioxidant, anti-parasitic, general health promoter
Thyme ~ Respiratory health, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-parasitic

SILKIES!!!!!!

Please stay tuned for more Operation Chicken EGGtravaganza...........................





No comments:

Post a Comment