Monday, June 4, 2012

Fertilizers

Today I ordered some fertilizer after doing some good 'ol online research.  My tomatoes are looking rough and the pepper plants are dropping leaves like crazy.  I admit I have no idea how to garden in South Florida, but I WILL figure it all out. I bought a soil test kit awhile ago and have never used it, probably a good idea if I would maybe test the soil.
The carrots are making me a bit crazy, out of a whole 4X4 area maybe 5% have sprouted.  I read that they are a bit slow on the start, so I will continue to watch them.

MULCH? I am researching as to whether or not I need to mulch my beds and if I do, what should I use.  South Florida gardening has it's own set of rules.  Water, soil, plants, fertilizer, this isn't Pennsylvania Dorothy!
I read City water - not good, I read natural soil - not good, I read some plants work, some do not.  I swear they should give you a handbook when you cross over the border to Florida.  I am going to look into buying some straw to mulch my beds.  That seems to be the least of the evils as far as mulching goes.

Chicken update! I have bought the feeder and waterer, also some misc bowls for grit and oyster shells. I went to Grif's yesterday as a newbie and clueless. I passed up buying two Jersey Giants, came home, spoke to Brian - whom by the way was way more excited about them then I was. I then went back to Grif's to purchase the little girls and they were sold. I even had some names rolling around in my head. The Buff Orpingtons will be ready June 17. I am going to get four (4) of the blond girls. The coop is scheduled to arrive Wednesday June 6!!! The bushes are being removed today for the Coop location.
I am going to set up the brooder this week so we are all ready for the chicks to come home.  They need to stay temperature regulated for a month or so before they can call the coop their home.
 I joined www.backyardchickens.com and am finding a wealth of information there.


No comments:

Post a Comment