Monday, August 6, 2012

Chicks, Crops and grand baby

Wow, where did the Summer go?  Here in South Florida it has been hot, hot, hot! We can hardly stay outside all day working unless the work involves the pool.  The chickens are doing great with the heat.  When it is super hot I put a frozen water bottle in their water so they have a nice treat.  I even hung some frozen water bottles so they had chicken a/c.

Jennifer in the foreground
Abby behind

Jennifer and Abby (Silkies) have been spending days outside in their playpen with lots of shade and water.  They love the grass and pecking around to see what they can find.

The garden has not been to successful, the heat of the summer is not a good time to plant most things.  This being my first year, I knew it was trial and error.  We had some cherry tomatoes, but quickly found out they split and got soft fast, even in a day. On Saturday I pulled out the tomatoes.  I also pulled out the sugar peas, they burned up so fast, I think I picked 5 good peas.  Hardly enough for a meal, well a chicken meal yes. 
Beets August 4, 2012
I did pull the beets Saturday, I do not eat them so I am waiting for B to let me know how they are.

Abby in her brooder with their practice roost

This summer has been a joy with my new grandson! We spend a lot of time together.  He likes looking at the chicks and loves the dogs!
Kayden in his bouncer

Kayden and his best buddy Brody!















No comments:

Post a Comment