Monday, August 20, 2012

Hey lady where have you been?????

I really do not know!

Last week we decided to put the silkies outside during the day, near the Amerucanas, so that we could start the get together! Tragedy struck within hours, in my attempt to provide shade and protection, I created what turned out to be a HUGE problem.  The rains came, the water pooled, the sides of the temporary play pen lifted and the girls went free ranging.  In theory it was awesome, great, a treat for them.  In practical life, B left the dogs out before checking on the silkies and they fled for their lives.  Our dogs are not mean at all but thought "play toys" and went running, one of the girls froze and was trampled.  The other ran behind the shed and was rescued by B and our electrician.  He really had no idea chicken wrangling was going to be in his day!
I was at work, B was so sad for how I would react, but we talked it through and he convinced me to NOT give up on the chickens.  I immediately called our local feed store and asked if they had any babies because I knew one silkie was not going to make it long on her own and she is to small to put in with Carrie and Miranda.  They had chicks but not ready for two days.  Time.crept.by.

B said we will be out front when they open and we will get two new chicks for Jenny. They had Amerucanas just like Carrie and Miranda! We picked out two, one I am sure is NOT an Amerucana as she is pure yellow.  Moe and Snow are the new girls.  Moe because she looks like she has a mohawk and snow because she is all yellow (snow white) I know yellow - white it doesn't quite work but hey Moe and Snow rhyme.

I was nervous putting these two little babies in with Jenny but had no other choice.  They all would thrive or not.  Everyone froze and I decided to walk away.  A few minutes later I went to check on them and OMGOSH ~ Jenny had her wings open as wide as she could get them and she is wiggling down on top of Moe and Snow.  Just like a mommy hen would do.  I was crying tears of joy when I saw that, I knew it was going to be OK! And every time I check on them or feed them Jenny is on top of one or the other. She is such a good mommy.  And here I thought for sure she was a he!

1 comment:

  1. so sorry for your lost and very happy that things worked out with the new girls.

    ReplyDelete