Friday, February 22, 2013

Jenny my sole Silkie

February 21, 2013

Yes, my calendar has chickens on it.

But more importantly the day I have been waiting for since July 8, 2012 - My Jenny laid her first egg. I am so proud I could burst. 

The cream one

Sadly ~ my trail camera was not working due to battery failure! (Note to self order "C" rechargeable batteries"

Jenny is the black ball of fur behind Will~I ~Am

Jenny is the cutest thing I have going in the chicken zone.   The way she walks, the way she just doesn't even care that she is so much smaller then the rest.  The way she mothered Mo and Sno and the way she still roosts with them.  The other night on post-dark chicken patrol we saw Mo roosting right next to Jenny with her wing up and over Jenny.  It was cold here, down in the 40's, I guess Jenny was cold. 

Last night on patrol I had to pick her up and cuddle and kiss her.  I don't think she weighs 5 pounds and she made an egg come out of her body!!  I always thank my girls everyday! I almost want to put a bow in her fro!

So to date, I have five (5) layers. Nothing consistent yet though, mostly two (2) a day.  But my egg basket is filling.  I have family coming down next week and I want to make them all a huge breakfast using the eggs my girls have laid. It is such a great feeling knowing that my Dad is going to sit at my table and eat eggs that my chickens laid.  He always asks how they are all doing!  I think he sometimes wonders about my sanity. 

Thanks for visiting!!




No comments:

Post a Comment