Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 13, 2012 ~ Hatch Day!!!!

Day 21 has come in such a hurry this time. I candled a little bit more this time around because I have my handy dandy Brinsea Battery Powered Egg Scope. This device allows you to turn the egg, and it also magnifies the view in a periscope sort of way. I started out with a total of fourteen (14) eggs this time. I purchased seven (7) Blue Silkies and seven (7) Buff Orpingtons from My Pet Chicken.  On Monday the 10th I commenced with LOCK DOWN.  I set my humidity to 65%, took my incubator off the automatic turner, made sure my humidity pump was full of water and my absorption  paper was in place.  The paper allows for the humidity to stay more constant and the pump doesn't have to run 24/7. Basically it is a extra thick piece of paper towel that came with the incubator.

Prior to lock down I knew I had to be realistic and remove some eggs that just didn't seem to be viable. So I sucked it up and went for it.  I candled everyone again and if it truly did not seem viable I did a little shake test.  If I heard or felt to much liquid movement I decide it was a done deal and was going to remove them.  I ended up removing all but two (2) eggs. Out of fourteen (14) only two (2) little Buff Orpingtons left.

Here are some pictures of the ones that didn't survive.  Only one actually seemed to have made it to a certain point, the others didn't show any signs of being fertile or progressing.
















The two that made it to lock down



Both Buff Orpingtons. 

So today is day 21, I am hoping that they can wait until day 22 in the afternoon so that I am home to watch. My first hatch waited until day 22 in the evening/night. 




No comments:

Post a Comment